Wednesday, December 3, 2008

Edutopia

The Edible Schoolyard is great because there are so many subjects integrated into that whole idea. There's math, science, and history. I could tell that the students were enjoying and learning at the same time. I had no idea there were schools that did that. A night in a global village seemed to be very educational. I wish I could have done something like that when I was in school. It makes you much more appreciative of what you have because there's always someone who has it worse than you do.
These podcasts would be great for my future class to watch, but it would be even better if they could experience it themselves. There's so much to learn from this. A lot of teamwork and group cooperation has to happen for it to even be a success. This activity exposes students to different culture, and it also teaches them about survival.
In my future class, we could watch these podcasts and have a class discussion. This would allow us to discuss cooperation, and it would also bring up a conversation about poverty. I may be able to get a trip together where we actually experience some of this. As a replica of the edible schoolyard, we could visit a garden. There are still many of those in Clarke County where I'm from. These are great educational experiences, and I think it would be very valuable in an educational environment.

No comments: