Wednesday, December 3, 2008

Another Class Blogger

I chose to read Noelle Shipman's EDM 310 Blog. The first thing I looked at when I opened Noelle's blog was her archive. I wanted to see if she had been up-to-date on her blogs, and she was. She had been doing her blogs on time throughout the semester. I am one of that she talked about who crammed at the last minute. I chose to continue looking at Noelle's blog because it was attractive and organized.
Noelle brought something to my attention. She said that she think everyone is going to have just about the same thing on all of their blogs. This is true. I agree that some of us should have had different assignments. It is very boring to read the same blogs over and over again. I see that Noelle had the same problem that I did concerning the ACCESS Lab. I also went to a school where the lab wasn't fully operational. Overall, I think Noelle did an excellent job on he class blog.
I think that there are some big advantages for using blogs in the classroom. It is a good way to communicate with the students in your classroom. When I was in high school, we had to write in a journal everyday. Instead of using journals, blogs would be a great idea. This way, students can enjoy working with technology. There are many times when students want to have discussions with their teachers, and there is not enough time to continue the discussion. The discussion could be continued on the class blog. I think it's a good idea for the classroom.
I don't think there are many disadvantages to using blogs in the classroom. If your students don't have internet access in the classroom or at home, this might not be a good idea. I know that most people do have access to the internet at home now, but there are people who just can't afford. So, you don't want to make those students feel like they have been left out because they don't have internet access. Another disadvantage would be confidentiality. If blogs are used as a substitute for journals, then some students may want to put some personal information on it. This would not be a good idea, especially with children.

No comments: